The beginning

Posted Monday January 21, 2013

Today is the day I officially start our blog.  I start on a day that I would consider a “good” day.  It has been a little over 8 months since Jay died and today I was finally able to start boxing up his shirts.  I look at everything I/we have done in the last 8 months and I’m unsure why this was such a difficult thing to do but then I realize it was how he left his things.  Early in our journey no one could sit in his chair or even move it for that matter.  Since then it has been moved and although it doesn’t get sat in very often, I would be OK if someone did.  When they call it a “journey” that is exactly what it is but that is life right?

I have accomplished many things in the last 8 months.  The most important thing I have learned in this journey is this…I am only responsible for my grief and to take care of our son.  If there is one piece of advice I could give anyone going through my situation or any type of grief it woud be that because as I have learned, everyone deals with grief in a different way and that is OK because no one is the same and we are always a work in progress.

I will begin adding excerpts from my monthly emails to the friends and family in this blog but to get caught up I wil be posting a few with each blog entry.

Here is the the email I sent to my department the day I returned to work: All, First I want to thank all of you for your condolences and support in the last few weeks.  I appreciate everything you have done for me and my family.   Today I return to work.  I kindly ask that all questions about what happened and other questions about the situation wait a few weeks as I try to find my new normal I am faced with.   Thank you in advance for your consideration.

This is an excerpt from the email I sent family and friends 3 months after Jay died.  It outlines events of the first 3 months.

Saturday May 12th was the most difficult day of my life.  Being surrounded by many of you helped in ways you will never fully understand so thank you again.  For those that made it to the visitation on Friday thank you as well.  The Hamilton’s staff was so wonderful and I am thankful for their patience and guidance in those first days.  I am proud of the service I was able to give Jay.

On Sunday May 13th (Mother’s day), Aaron and I spent the day at Glazed Expressions.  We picked up the gift Jay and Aaron had made for me a couple weeks prior.  It was a square vase with Aaron’s hand and foot prints.  I could only hope now that I had a picture of Jay putting the paint on Aaron’s hands and feet and getting him to do the prints.  I have my own mental picture of it and it makes me laugh.

On Monday May 14th, Aaron went back to daycare at Apple Tree in Urbandale.  The amazing people there have helped Aaron and I adjust to our new normal.  I consider all of them our family.

On June 5th (Jay’s 34th birthday), we received a notice in the mail that Jay’s cornea donation had restored the site of two people.

On June 6th, Aaron was presented with the first ever annual Grimes Fire and Rescue Association scholarship.  My apologies to my neighbors as I am sure there was panic as 2 fire trucks, an ambulance and 2 officer vehicles pulled up to our house. 😉 We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful group of people in our community care for us.

On June 7th I went back to work.  I am very fortunate to work for such an awesome company and have such wonderful co-workers.  We also received a thank you from one of the cornea transplant recipients.

On Saturday June 17th (Father’s day weekend), team “the Jay Walkers” walked in the American Association Heart Walk here in Des Moines.  We raised $720.  Not bad considering we gathered that in a week.  Next year we will have team shirts and a little more time to collect for this great organization helping in the fight against heart disease.

On Saturday July 21st we went to the Sioux Falls Airshow.  Aaron did great with his ear muffs.  Aaron was excited to see his Uncle Eric fly the F16.  On Monday July 23rd Aaron turned 9 months old.  He had a great dr. appt and the 9 month pictures should be super cute.  We took many pictures to remember daddy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.